Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Everyman is the architect of his own fortunes..

School started last Sunday & I got my marks, they are good, and I got one of the highest in my class, but I wasn’t satisfied with physics’ mark, I didn’t get the mark I was seeking for..
I got 96% in English, 92% in French, and 91% in Arabic which is really awesome, taking high marks in French and Arabic in My school is like “mission impossible”. And what made me extremely happy is that my essay in Arabic got the highest mark, one of the best essays I’ve ever wrote.
“Z” (my school-mate) who was injured in the explosion attended school, when I saw her for the first time, I was shocked, her face is defaced, she didn’t look like herself, but the most important thing is she’s alive, and no matter how does she look from the outside, she’ll remain the” Z” I knew from inside.
“Z” is one of the smartest students in the sixth class, this year will define her future career depending on the marks she’ll get in the final exams .
After the 5th class, many students study in the Summer holiday preparing for the sixth class, they choose the teachers they want, create a group contain 8 or 10 students and they take the class in the teacher’s house or in one of the students’ house, some students prefer to study the scientific subjects only, while others prefer to study both scientific & literary subjects, we call it the private lessons, for many it is expensive, as you know the unemployment in Iraq is increasing, and the salaries are not high, my friend will stay in her grandparents’ house in Mosul because the cost of the private lessons in Mosul is less than Baghdad (about 250000-300000 Dinars for each subjects in Mosul)..
for me I’ll study physics, mathematics, chemistry, and Arabic in the summer holiday, because the teachers in school can’t finish the whole curricula during the academic year, and I can’t make sure if the situation will be good and I’ll be able to attend school everyday.. beside some teachers don’t explain well, and when students ask them to explain the lesson again they say “why? All of you attend private lessons”..
My mom got one of the highest marks in her school, and she didn’t study anything during the summer holiday. she could attend the best university in Iraq, at that time the teachers used to do their best and make sure every student understand the lesson, unfortunately nowadays some teachers refuse to answer our questions, and don’t explain well.
The post was quite short, because I have very limited time of electricity …
Sunshine

27 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Diana Joy said...

Hi Sweetie!!!
Where's your manuscript??Did you find a publisher? Write me...I have one and you can send it directly to them :) But, please do?! Your story needs to be out there for the world to read :)
Love,
Diana Joy
author,
www.unseenchild.com

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jhondie said...

Congrats on the Good Grades!

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

"Everyman is the architect of his own fortunes.."

An approriate title for this post. I've watched as your posts have improved along with your English language skills; building a readership and fans.

Your excellent grades show you have focus, aptitude and perseverance providing a framework for future construction.

But this is only your 1st fortune, which is the hardest to acheive. God willing, there are other fortunes yet to be gained.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Mister Ghost said...

Dear Sunshine,
Congratulations.
But who had any doubt that you would do well? :))))))

Your friend "Z", she could be helped by doctors outside of Iraq. Say a prayer for something like that to happen with her in the future. And it is good for you to be so supportive of her.

Your upcoming book, I think will be among the best written about life in the new Iraq. There have not been many containing a Mosellian perspective of events.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the good Grades! I also have a question:
I'm just wondering, how did Iraqis receive and think of 9/11? It is sort of the main reason for all these strikes on terror, and I'm just wondering how did the news reach Iraq (most media over her tries to show the Iraqi people as all happy about it), and what effect did it have on you all?

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Average American said...

VERY NICE grades Sunshine, but then I'm not surprised. You are such a source of pride to yourself, your family, and all who have come to know you, and it looks like you are the unofficial Ms Prime Minister!! I don't think anyone will catch you now.

Joe from New Hampshire

P.S. Does your hat still fit???

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Ahmad said...

Hi sunshine

I am glad your marks were good.

Take Care

Ahmad

www.ashkavand.blogspot.com

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Hello Sunny,

Congratulations!! I knew you could do it dear...

I know how hard and expensive to get a tutor but that is the way it should be since some teachers aren't doing their best to transfer the data to you guys!

Oh well, I know you are smart enough and can do it without the need of a tutor but if you feel to, why not!

I am glad to know that "Z" is doing well, time will heal her face...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family


Marsho

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrates on the test scores!

and about the teachers...dont worry ive had some just like them....seems to be a ever growing trend

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Don Cox said...

I'm glad to hear that Z is back in circulation. Give her our love and tell her not to worry about the scars.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger David said...

Congratulations on your very high marks Sunshine! :)

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger tootie said...

That's great about your grades! Keep up the great work! You are a very smart girl.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Average American said...

Madam Prime Minister:
Congratulations on some great grades--again! I was happy to hear that Z is well enough to be back in school. I hope the wounds will completely heal eventually. You and your mother are such special people. It was so nice for you to be able to comfort her in her time of need. Hard to believe that a 16 year old girl is one of the most famous people in Iraq isn't it? Oh, I almost forgot--does your hat still fit??

Yuck, comment moderation, can't blame you. If it keeps you and your family safer, we readers will learn to live with it. I promise to still come by once in a while and comment for you.

May God be with you and all of your loved ones.

Joe from New Hampshire

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger cat said...

Hey Sunny!
So good to hear that your grades are still awesome! To have to keep grades up with everything that's going on over there seems impossible to me. I'm so sorry to hear about Z, but I'm glad she is able to go to school again, and so soon, too. Tell her that I said hi; she doesn't know me, but I prayed for her when I heard she was injured. I gotta run, I've got my classes this morning. We dissect a fish in biology! I can't wait. Luv and hugs,
cat

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger John said...

Congratulations on your excellent performance -- your fans are happy but not surprised!!! I'm so very sorry about Z.'s scars. It's a terrible awful thing and I'm very sorry. I'm glad she is feeling better and back in school though. She sounds like a very impressive person.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger C.H. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger BAGHDADENTIST said...

Hey sunny,
great grades, felicitation. i liked the title and im keeping it in my mind since i was in baghdad college till now. wish you luck and have a chance to join the best college. keep studying and blogging.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny give Z my very best wishes. I am very disappointed with the attitude of some of your teachers. They could learn a good bit from their students. Keep up the great work. You are a natural born leader and an inspiration to others. Stay strong and keep your Sun shining : ) Solo

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

great job and congrats with the grades!!!!!!!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Lenny said...

Congratulation!!!

Nice to know you. I am a Asian girl. I hope we can become a good friend.

I hope your country will get peace sooner.

Thank you. I got many lesson from your blog. Keep going, I will not give up, so do you.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow nice..congrats on the Good Grades

Etavasi with
Share Something 2 You

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Strykeraunt said...

Very good title Sunshine. So simple but so true!!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Strykeraunt said...

Very good title Sunshine. So simple but so true!!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger maniacprovost said...

I like the quote you used for your title. Here's another one it reminds me of:

"Is not the kindred of a common fate a closer tie than that of birth?"

Have your career plans changed? Inquiring minds want to know.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Fille-de-Etoile said...

Congrats on your good grades. Too bad your tutors and teachers aren't as helpful. I guess the war is really stresses them that they aren't able to care about educating your Iraqis. I pray that you find teachers and tutors to help you succeed. Take care of yourself. Have a good day.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger le radical galoisien said...

est-ce qu'iraqiens utilisent Facebook?

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your information. Most of the posts in the blog is really valuable. Regards

 

Post a Comment

<< Home