Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Friday, February 08, 2008

All together...

I feel Happy because I finished my exams, I spent about an hour and half yesterday walking and talking with my friends Z, M, and N, we had so much fun , Z bought a new mobile phone, and we listened to some new songs, there weren’t any shooting near the school, unlike everyday, when I came home I took a shower, we had electricity for 2 hours, then we visited my relatives, and now I am listening to my favorite songs , while writing this post to you my dearest friends and readers, what do I want more?
It went through very very very hard 3 weeks. each day I tried to finish studying quickly , I felt afraid from staying alone at night because the shelling didn’t stop and we didn’t have electricity, it is hard to admit that 16 years old Sunshine was afraid to stay alone at night! .
The new operation against Al-qaida will begin soon.
On Wednesday the situation was really bad, in the morning there were shooting all the time, at 4:30 pm I was combing my hair, and about to continue studying, something like an earth-quake happened, without thinking I knew it’s an explosion, I didn’t have time to run or hide, BOOOOOOOM, I felt like the blaster pushed me, I ran, and tried to avoid something but it hit me, I wasn’t sure what was it, smoke filled the rooms, I was glad to see everyone ok, I went to my room to see what has happened to it, the thing that hit me was my mug, and thank god we didn’t have many losses, I saw an orange smoke, we thought it was CL gas, so we put wet towels on our noses, grandpa and dad closed all the windows, and replaced the broken ones with cartoons ..
In the next day, my mom went to work, she said there were so many people in the hospital, and from time to time a family would go out crying loud because their wounded member died, it was a painful view..
On Thursday morning I couldn’t study well, there was a fight in the street behind our house, and I had to stay in the corridor, I was angry, and told grandma when she asked me to stay in a safe place “THE TERRORISTS ARE CHALLENGING ME, BUT I WILL STUDY NO MATTER WHAT” so I brought my books, sat on the floor, and studied , at noon, I got a phone call from my headmistress , she said Z was very badly injured, I couldn’t take it anymore, I lost my ability to tolerate, I was devastated, and I had a killing headache..
I went to school on Sunday and I knew I wont answer well, everyone was stressed, some of her friends knew she was injured at that morning, they were crying, even the girls who aren’t in her class were crying, my friend M came to school as soon as I said “hi, how are you” , she hugged me and burst into tears, she couldn’t study because Z is her friend & her sister’s best friend, they also had bad damages in their house because of that explosion, no one answered well at that day.
The explosion caused a huge hole ( it’s diameter is 25 meters) the explosion destroyed 50 houses, 200 shops, killed over than 40 people, injured 217 citizens, and 4 soldiers, horrified the whole city, many people lost their family members, and their houses.
There were many terrible stories, people lost their whole family members, mothers lost their kids, etc, you most saw that in TV. But I heard stories made me feel how great people the Iraqis are.
I heard a talk show in the radio, when A man said “ I was in the hospital in the day of explosion, and I saw the ambulances bringing people injured very badly, I wanted to help but didn’t know what to do, so I took my car, went to a neighborhood and started to shout “ an explosion happened in a neighborhood, many people were injured, is there any one willing to donate with blood?” and I came to the hospital with about 25 guys”
Many people called and adopted the orphans, many people donated with money, clothes, & medicines, my mom and her friend called every dentist they knew collected money to the wounded people.
A man called the radio and his words touched my heart he said “I don’t have money to give, but I’ll work for free and re-build the destroyed houses and shops“ and he gave the reporter his number, the world needs more people like him.
*************************************
About my exams I did very well in English, French, Computer, biology, Chemistry, and religion, I did ok in Arabic, and I answered bad in Physics and mathematics !!
***********************
On my birthday, I came home, had lunch, and decided to take a nap, because I couldn’t sleep well at night and had to woke up at 5 am to study, as soon as I laid on my bed a fight started behind the house, (about 30 meters away), of course my wish in my birthday was to stay alive, I thought “to run, or to stay???!” then I remembered the say “ what hits me wasn’t suppose to miss me, and what miss me wasn’t suppose to hit me”, so I put the pillow on my head and a blanket, and fall asleep!!!! I was so tired, at 4 pm I heard singing “ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU” , I opened my eyes and saw my family members around the bed singing, it was really funny and special I blew my candles while I was still in bed ..
It was a hard year, but full of success, I became stronger person, now I know that I should not trust people quickly, I am more careful, wiser, I have confidence and believe in my self more than anytime ever, I got a lot of friends in this year, I had interviews with very famous media, I am achieving my goals, my family, readers and friends are proud of me, I became a friend of a wonderful Honest girl, who’s in the 4th class pharmacy collage, we get along well, and she understands me well .. seeing all of my family members alive and well is such a bless, and I also encouraged a blogger to start his own blog, he became famous already. Baghdad dentist Is his nickname, and I tell you he’s a gifted writer, and I am glad with my choice..
Dear Dr. “Baghdad dentist” keep blogging, you’ll have fun, make friendships, and you’ll feel that you are doing something important and what a great feeling when your words have the power to make a change in the world, even if it was a small change, it is priceless .. But keep in mind, people will steal your posts and sentences, it’ll hurt your feelings, but always keep in mind, they’ll never win, and people will always recognize your style and words..
*************************************
I wanted to make a big party tomorrow, but it was canceled because of the bad situation.
***********************************
In Iraqi blogger central, i was chosen to be the next Prime minister, when I saw that I couldn’t believe it I felt very happy, and started to jump up and down, there is a competition between me and my friends in ITM, my par was 1% more than theirs, and now we are equal ..
I told my relatives about that, they laughed and their sons asked me to hire them as my bodyguards !!
Sunshine (the future prime minister for a sunny nation).

42 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prime Minister Sunshine. That has a good sound to it. I was very happy to see your post. I hear on the news everyday about Mosul and about the fighting. I always think of you and your family, Najma, and HNK. It must be very hard to live under those conditions. It would be nearly impossible to study and sleep with a battle going on behind your house but you seem to find a way do do it. You are truly amazing sunshine and perhaps someday you will be the REAL Prime Minister. Stay safe and know that we all love you and pray for your safty.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger PolarBZ said...

I look forward to the day you can bring your country to peace and prosperity as Prime Minister. With people like you growing up with a positive attitude, things can only get better.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Michomeme said...

Hi Sunshine
i really like all your posts..keep up the good work girl, you'll be the Prime Minister someday..there is nothing impossible..

Micho

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather like you to become a writer or so than a prime minister. It's not that I've ever met a prime minister, but I don't like most of them. And they don't blog... but it's fine you're proud of your past year. I wish you a less hard, but even more successful new one. My exams are still ahead of me and I can tell, I'm so nervous about them - and I don't have to study with bombs exploding around my neighborhood. Every time I read your blog I'm amazed how you take it all. Keep on shining!

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Madam Prime Minister! As of right now, you are ahead 41 to ITM 40 and it wouldn't let me vote or it would read 42 to 40.

The big blast you talked of was ALL over the news for 2 days or more. It sounds like you live pretty close to it. I was very glad to see todays post because now we all know you are still safe! If you could put a short post up more often, we would all feel better. I know sometimes it is not possible though.

You and your family are in my prayers Sunny! Stay safe and may God bless you, and all the good people of Iraq!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Thanks so much for the update, Sunshine :)

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger cat said...

Hello!
I was so glad to see your post! Every day I check your blog, and it's been tough not seeing any changes. I prayed for you and everybody in Mosul and I know now that it's God keeping you safe. I'll start praying for Z, I hope she will be ok. I'm glad you were able to celebrate your birthday despite all the fighting. keep posting!
luv,
cat

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

You are so very, very brave. My thoughts are with you and your family & friends during this difficult time in your life. Continue studying and doing your school work. Keep positive!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Future Prime Minister of Iraq!

I was so happy to see your post this morning!!!! When we don't hear from you for such a long time I worry!! I am so sorry about the latest trouble! Iraqi people are so strong and good I know your country will heal and be stronger than ever. The fighting has to stop soon!
I wish everyone who wants to fight in this world would just go off into the desert and kill each other and leave everyone else alone who just want to live and contribute to a better world for all people. This is my favorite song and in the video is code pink an organization of women who protest war. If women were the leaders maybe we could find other solutions.
Happy Birthday dear friend and future leader of the world.
We are hoping to elect Obama who will help bring a new voice and peace to all the world!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96q9ICwRY0
Sending you love from America,
Kathleen

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger cat said...

uh, ya!
like Obama would really do anything that means peace in the Middle East. What do you think a mass draw-back of US forces will do there? With the job of squelching Al Qaeda not yet finished, do you think AQI would just stop? No, a snake with the head cut off can still wreck havoc in its death throes. And then a new head would grow, and we would have the same problem again, and perhaps another 9/11 disaster as well. I'm all for bringing troops home, but that needs to happen slowly, so as not to totally dump Afghanistan and Iraq to the dogs.
The Iraqi people are strong, and given a little help, can and will develop a new and stronger government.
Luv,
cat

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Jhondie said...

Hi Sunshine. I do love your blog.
You are my hero! "What hits me wasn't meant to miss" wow! That is a very soldier like attitude. We try to keep that mentality also, but sometimes its hard not to get scared. Unlike you, we are the best equiped and best trained people on the battle field and we still fear for our lives. There you are in your pajamas and manage to fall asleep while people are shooting all around you? WOW!

God Loves you Sunshine. I pray he continues to protect you and your loved ones.
Peace be with you.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Santa Rosa New School Aikido said...

Dear Sunshine. I firmly believe that you not only WILL but ARE making the world a better place. You'd be a wonderful prime minister...but then, I think you will do a great job, no matter what you decide to be.

Thank you for this post. I check this spot daily to see how you and your family are. My prayers are with Mosul. May all of you stay safe and sound, and may we all see peace soon.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Kathleen's comment...We are hoping to elect Obama who will help bring a new voice and peace to all the world!!!

The first thing I thought of was my high school days back in the '60s. Our high school had a rule. Anyone caught fighting SHALL BE suspended for 3 to 5 days. This included both parties. The principle use to say "It takes 2 to Tango". Needless to say, there weren't many fights where I went to high school.

The problem for those who wanted to be left alone was, there are those who wanted to bother you.

Since you'd be suspended whether you fought back or not. Fight or flight? The question is best answered by asking 'which is better serves your dignity, your honor and your future security.'

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Mademoiselle Prime Minister

I voted for you, but I would have liked to vote for ITM (Iraq The Model) as well. Also, I think I found your blog through ITM.

I knew absolutely nothing about Iraq prior to reading ITM. Although I know a lot more now, I'll never know enough.

I hope you can find a publisher for a book. I think it would make interesting reading as well as expose a side of Iraq the rest of the world never sees.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Kathleen, please don't mention "Code Pink" on this blog again. Sunshine obviously doesn't want to talk about American politics, or she would be posting about it. Right?

What makes her blog special is she talks about herself and her family, and her day to day experiences. Please respect that. I try to, and so do most of her other fans.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

This is my favorite song and in the video is code pink an organization of women who protest war.

Sunshine, Kathleen is misleading you about what Code Pink is. Code Pink is a militant left-wing group. Maybe the most militant leftists in the United States.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Sage said...

Sunshine, I just checked back to see if you are safe - I haven't been here in a long time. I check on Najma too, mostly through email, but I worry when she doesn't blog, especially now that the battle for Mosul is heating up.

As always, your blog is so inspiring. You are a remarkable girl. I know you and your family do everything you can to stay safe. I'll add my prayers to yours. Be safe.

Dan

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger RhusLancia said...

ripama: "I voted for you, but I would have liked to vote for ITM (Iraq The Model) as well."

Well, you can vote once per day, so go ahead! Sunshine's pulled a little lead now...

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger jae said...

I voted for you!
I think you would be a great prime minister. You have a kind and caring heart and to have someone like you lead would bring out the kindness in everyone.

Happy birthday, Sunshine!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Hello Sunny!!

Well, Happy belated B day dear may all your wishes come true.

And congratulation for the title :) there is nothing impossible, as Hillary Clinton was dancing in a toto skirt when she was a little girl while no one predicted of her being a strong candidate on her way to the white house, I see no restricts for you to become our future prime minister or Ms. Presedent of Iraq...keep your head up always and trust in God.

Hugs and kisses


Marsh

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friend Sunshine. Many prayers and good thoughts to you all. ((((HUGS))))
Stef (New Zealand)

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Usama bin Ladin's son said that "My father is trying to protect Islam all over the world. But I have a better way. I am a peaceful bridge between Islam and Western people."

Someday you will recover peace.

AO

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine, your blog is fantastic. This is my first visit. I hope and pray for you and your family and all those you care about to remain safe. Peace be with you all. By the way, I voted for you too.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Master Cylinder said...

Dear Sunshine,
You don't recognize this name, but I interviewed you for War News Radio in America. Remember? We talked about electricity. I'm happy to hear you passed through your exams, but what happened to your friend Z is shocking. Is she ok? I hope she pulls through. Congratulations on your birthday, stay safe, and you will do great things.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine, you did a very good job on the exam. You are the strongest and lovely girl in the world. I am sure your optimism will change the world and stop the war one day. You will have a safe and quiet place to study, and celebrate your birthday with great joy every year!!
I will keep you in mind, my beloved Sunshine!! *.*

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger anN said...

I'm glad you are okay. I've been missing your entry for so long... :)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

RhusLancia

I Just voted for ITM thereby canceling my vote for Sunshine...Anyway, she's too young to be prime minister...Isn't she???

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger John said...

I'm so sorry about Z and I hope she will recover. But "Sunshine (the future prime minister for a sunny nation)" really made me smile!

 
At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Sunny! My thoughts go out to Z. I hope she has a rapid recovery. BTW, I don't know about the Prime Minister thing. I suppose you have to start somewhere, but eventually you gotta go for *World Ambassador*. It doesn't exist yet but you could be the first and the best; )Keep yer Sun shining. Solo

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Serguei said...

Definitely you would be a great Prime Minister. Never change.

Shame to see those pics. Hope Z and everybody else are getting fine.

Hugs for you!

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a 28-year old bartender from Finland and I've been reading your blog for quite a while now, I found it via StumbleUpon. It's all peace and quiet here and winter has finally come. I find it difficult trying to relate to your situation there, but I try my best.. I realise you have a great risk of losing your life just by living there, and I pray for your well being, even though I'm really not that religious person..

All those pictures of food from your parties make me drool :) I'm a big fan of dolmas. Though I don't remember if I've seen any of those in the pictures, but I think you people eat dolmas there. I just love them. My mother brings those every time she visits Cyprus.

I try to restrain myself from being political, but i think the american troops in your country are also victims of a handful of rich idiots who hold the strings in the united states. One thing is sure: that thing there will stop soon. Everything will be better and peace will come.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger RhusLancia said...

ripama: "Anyway, she's too young to be prime minister...Isn't she???"

Not in the IBC poll! (I don't know what the "real" rules are...)

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sunshine,

I am so happy to know that you are alright. I am proud of your excellent grades on your exams. Do not worry about the two that you did not do so well on. You will do better when things get calmer. I am sorry to hear about your friend "Z". I hope she is geting better.

February 14 is Valentines day, when we send our dearest greetings to our firends and loved ones. I wanted you to know that you are one who I admire deeply so I am giving you a Valentine: Happy Valentine Day

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Sunshine's line is off.

Are you OK?

AO

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AO,

I do not know for sure but I think her mail box if full.

Preparing for her exams and other problems have caused her to et behind in her mail reading.

Wait for her to catch up.

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine do not open the Happy Valentine from Wayne there is a virus that can screw up your computer floating around that are attached to web valentines.

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine do not open the Happy Valentine from Wayne there is a virus that can screw up your computer floating around that are attached to web valentines.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Wayne was just telling you, we celebrate Valentine's Day in North America. It is a day where we can show the people we love, just how very much we love and adore them.

The focus is love....sounds like your friend, "Z", could use some loving. We'll be sending lots of love her way.

And as for you my Dear One, I am so very proud of you for completing your studies with such dedication. Again, you inspire me. My Dear One, if there is anyone who is more deserving of being a Prime Minister to show the world how citizenship, dedication and hard work complete an already amazing person and a leader in her own right, it is you.

Keep safe Dear One and know how very many hearts send their love to you each and every day, not just on the day we celebrate as Valentine's Day, February 14th.

4

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine the comment made by Kathleen is correct but I scanned the one I sent to you before I sent it. I would never send something that would cause a problem for you because like many others I do dearly care for you.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Wayne, I am sorry. I tried to open it just to check and my fire wall went crazy so that is why I put the warning up. I just didn't want her computer to get toasted.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathleen,

You need to have your computer checked. I notice you posted the same comment twice and you say your firewall went crazy when you checked on the valentine.

I received that valentine from mamarocks whose site I have been visiting for several years. She is extremely careful insuring there are no viruses sent from her.

As I said, I checked it before I sent it. I checked it again after you said it had a virus. It has none.

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger ronan1234567 said...

Dear Sunshine,
You won't beleive it. Today, in my first class our teacher gave each of us different storys of different kids in Iraq. I got yours. I have been so touched and so interested I went to your blog.
I really,REALLY wish you the best, and i hope someday you will complete your ambitions and be proud.
Love, an 8th grader from the United States.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home