Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Friday, October 19, 2007

This Eid.....

My grandparents who live in Baghdad arrived Mosul two days before Eid, after they spent 8 hours driving in unpaved road, their trip was very tiring, and they reached our house exhausted and dusty.
My grandma talked a lot about the situation in Baghdad and she told us many horrible stories made me kind of lose hope to have peaceful life!
The days before Eid were very violent, many explosions happened in Mosul, and many houses were damaged. I kept praying nothing bad will happen and we'll be able to celebrate Eid ..
On the first day of Eid, I woke up early and congratulated my family members, then we wore our new clothes, got ready to go out, & opened all the windows, before we go out an explosion happened with no damages, thank god. it was loud I thought it was in the neighborhood, but it was few neighborhoods away, we stayed in the corridor for awhile in case there is another car bomb or mine, but after half hour I insisted to go, it took us about an hour to reach our relatives house because of the closed roads.
We reached my dad uncle's house, all of his children, grandchildren, and even grandchildren's kids attended!!! then at 12:15 my other dad's uncle arrived with the family (they spent a lot of time stuck in the road because a mine exploded). Anyway there was a lot of noise and everyone was talking, the kids played in the garden, and the teenagers and adults were in the guest room, my dad's uncle is very nice man and always joke (I wrote about him once, he was threatened by terrorists and had to take his kids and hide in a safe place for awhile), he had very hilarious videos in his cell phone and he added fun to our meeting.
At about 1:30 pm the lunch was ready, my dad uncle's wife made delicious Iraqi dishes, there was Dolma, Biryani, Bamya, Kabab, chicken, pickles , and salad, my other dad's uncle invited us to have lunch in their house in the third day of Eid..

The lunch was awesome. Then after lunch the subjects we were talking about turned to be about the iraqi situation and horrifying stories, I couldn't sleep well at night and had many nightmares about people burning alive ..
In the next day of Eid, I woke up with bad mood (of course after the night I spent!) at 11:30 in the morning we visited Najma's house, and I spent really nice time, Najma's aunt was there as well as other relatives, I didn't see Najma and HNK for long time and I was really happy to see them again, I missed them a lot. After two hours we came back home.
In the third day of Eid we had another family meeting in my other dad uncle's house which is nearby, I spent a nice time there (they didn't speak about politics)
The lunch was also delicious, we ate the most yummy Uruk, chicken, rice and Bamya, Lahim Biageen, pickles& salad. my brother Yoyo..

******************************************************************************
This Eid no one knocked our door, everyone we know feel afraid from coming to our neighborhood, because it is very dangerous, and scary. We didn't visit many families, even the close relatives, Eid lost it's spirit, and never like before.
I went to school on Wednesday, the teachers who'll teach us this year seems to be nice except the Arabic teacher and the French teacher they look really rigorous.
yesterday I spent an hour and 20 minutes in my way home, the bridges were VERY crowded, and the roads were closed, as soon as I reached home my mom told me about our friend's brother who is 15 years old, he was in the house when a mortar fell and exploded causing huge damages in his body, and very bad injuries, the chops ruptured his lungs, liver , spleen , diaphragm, & chest, he is in the hospital, and had 3 surgeries, the doctors didn't come to check him in Eid!! Can you believe that? And today his doctor came and said "oh god, your son is very spoiled and demanding!!!!!!!
they opened his chest from 3 different places!!, he's in a bad condition and suffering, may god help him, please pray for this young man. Adding to this family's tragedy, they were forced to leave their house, because the terrorists will bomb the neighborhood..
I have really bad headache..
Sunshine..

23 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew!!! Glad to hear from you. I was missing your postings, not having heard for awhile. It seems you're really special, to survive all this violence all around you and still be upbeat. Is the war coming to an end? What are the foreign troops doing to end it? What solutions do the Iraqi people have. I see oil price is going up, so maybe the more money can help some. Bye, thanks, i'm Fabio.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
I'm glad you and your family could celebrate Eid! That food looks really yummy. Careful, you'll make me drool
all over the keyboard! I sincerely hope that things get better in Iraq. Our president is beset by many people who oppose him, and he needs their support to continue funding the war.
God Bless you and your family,
Cat

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger jhondie said...

I'm glad you and your mom finally got to see your grandparents. I know from reading your mom's post that she misses them very much. hopefully the bombs will lessen now. I'll continue to pray for you and your loved ones Sunshine. Peace be with you.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger ViewedThroughPrada said...

Your Eid feast looks delicious! Yummy! :D I hope you ate until your belly ached!

It's unfortunate that you had to listen to horror stories during time of celebration.

Glad to hear you're alive and well. :)

xox,
Monica

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunshine,
Long time no blog - I thought maybe something happened....
You made a funny mistake. NHK is Japan TV. You meant HNK.
I want to know the names of the meals. Please put captions (explanations) below the photos. I like cooking (yes, even though I'm a man), so I want to try cooking an Iraqi dish.
Sayonara, Steen

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Renae said...

Hi I was blog hopping and I cam across your blog, just to say I was stuck at my computer screen just reading and reading.

Props to you and your strong will. Hope you inspire alot of people to hold on and to have the optimism that everything will be fine.

Take good care of yourself there, hope everything will be better for you and your loved ones.

God bless.
Renae.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Sunshine,

You eat too much.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you got to see your grandparents and Najma & HNK. The food looks very good. From reading your blog it seems that the situation in Mosul is getting worse. It has to be very hard for all of the innocent people caught up in this mess. We can only hope that some miracle will happen soon and peace will return.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Sunshine,

I started to study Arabian Language on NHK TV.

It's very interesting!

Arabian letters seem to be magic!

Wine originated from Lebanon.

Beer, Egypt!

I like Beer and Wine.

ShockRun, Laki!!!

AO

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Your brother's name is yoyo?

My name is yosuke.

They are a little similar(laghing)!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing all your thoughts. The food for Eid looks really good.

good wishes, hugs,
Rachel

 
At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear One,

I am so pleased you were able to share some special time with your grandparents. I am sure even with the turmoil around you, having them with you was a blessing.

The feast looks divine. I only wish you were able to share in the celebration with peace.

My prayers are with you as always, and I send my thoughts and good wishes to those who are suffering at the hands of the terroristic behaviour that seems to be ongoing. My prayer is that they will be dealt with severely and quickly and that life will finally be as it should be for you and your loved ones and neighbours.

Be safe, Dear One and know that my love and thoughts are with you, always!

4

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger MixMax said...

Sunshine, that is beautiful... I couldn't but to put a link on my blog to yours on that post in particular, if that's ok with you, of course

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I read with interest your families struggle to live a "normal" life in the midst of a war. I admire your courage and determination to persist.

I hope for you and your country the future with betters days comes soon.

MY thoughts are with your young friend so badly injured. May he recover fully.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Sunshine,

I believe you don't mind when people correct your english: "and very bad injuries, the chops ruptured his lungs, liver , spleen". I believe you mean shrapnel instead of chops. Shrapnel are pieces of metal and/or other projectiles that are formed in an explosion. Is that what you mean when you write chops?

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger John said...

Please don't lose hope -- I believe in you and I know that you will keep your sun shining! I am praying every day for you and your family and I will pray for your poor injured friend too. Please take care of yourself and don't listen to too many horrible stories too much, so that you will be able to sleep at least a little better. Stay safe -- we love you!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger David said...

Dear Sunshine,

I'm glad to read that you were able to see many members of your family during the Eid. The food looks really delicious!

I am sorry to hear of so much violence in Mosul. All I can do is hope that things will improve for you there.

I hope that your friend's brother will be ok. If his doctor says he is spoiled and demanding, I think it is a good sign that he is recovering. ;)

Good luck with your new classes!

Take care.

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sunshine,
I'm glad to see your post. I'm Indian and I love biryani too! Hope every Eid is filled with happiness for you. That boy's story is sad. I hope he gets well. I can't imagine a doctor saying that, that's just cruel! I'll pray for the boy.
Lots of love and prayer.. stay safe..

(Your brother Yoyo is so cute! I always wanted a younger brother.)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Cass said...

Hello Sunshine dear
Glad to read your posts and hear that you are still safe.
you have an amazing passion for life, and for every other living being
seeing you still being so strong through the hardest of times
really is an inspiration to everyone.
stay safe
Always, Cass (sister of olivebranch)

Oh and I've started a new blog, take a look if you wish
www.notquitesointeresting.blogspot.com

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Iraqi Mojo said...

Sunshine, my cousin told me yesterday that she heard some Americans talking about you and your blog on a radio station in California. You are famous!

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to see yoyo getting bigger. and all the lovely food your family prepared despite the dreadful situation. take care.
starliz

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Economy and Ecology

Economy is a kind of number - mathematics, but Ecology is a kind of logos and pathos.

Mathematics is not always real. But Logos and Pathos are real?

AO

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sunshine,

What an incredible young lady you are. How I would love to have you and your wonderful family as neighbors and be a part of your extended family...

May God bless you one and all.

Sincerely,
Another "Sunshine"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home