Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Eid ..

Eid mubarak (blessed Eid), for you all, I really missed writing to you, and feel so glad to post again, I have a lot of news and new stories .. …
Since collage started I became so busy, I come home at 3 and half pm, have lunch and a quick nap, and start studying at 6 pm till mid night, honestly I thaught college will not be stressful for me, but the first week was hard, our university lecturers are horrible in general!! We have two good professors and the rest have no idea what they're talking about, they have a paper and they just write it and leave the class leaving us confused ! when I ask a question I get the same reply which is " time is too short to answer" or they just ignore our questions , and that's because they don't even know the answer !!
I depend on myself, and ask the students older than me, specially their professors were different, I also borrow books and try understand the lectures such as CDs , books, and lectures from older students.
I think I am doing fine so far.. I have a new friend who's from Basra and I spent most of the break time with her, and when it comes to lectures and studying I have 2 classmates who are clever, we spend a lot of time explaining to each other .. one of them is from Baghdad and the other was with me in primary school and he remembered me so well !!
The second week of college was so stressful and crazy, I lost appetite, and I had horrible insomnia, I was thinking about the lectures I didn't understand all the time.
on Thursday (3 days before Eid), I had unbearable headache, , after midnight I woke up shaking harshly, and my jaws were killing me, I had a high fever, I stayed awake till 4 am I couldn't leave my bed, then when I was able to walk I went to mom who gave me medications, at 6 am, the fever was so high, as soon as I left my bed I fainted, my sister was awake and she started to scream calling dad who carried me to bed.. it was a horrible long night, I was in pain and also worried about my studying schedule..
In the morning my grandparents arrived from Baghdad with both of my mom's uncle and aunt and their families, my health started to get better by time, and I was able to leave the bed, I didn't have high fever, but I had a bad flue!! but I was enjoying time with my family and relatives.
Thursday was Eid's night, or as we call it Laylat al Eid, we took showers and wore our new pajamas it was fun :D

In the first day of Eid al Adha, my grandparents decided to slay a ram a allocate it's meat to paupers and relatives, so the butcher came early to our house, this is a tradition called Dhaheya.. I didn't have the courage to look at the poor ram ..
At 11 pm, we went to my grandpa eldest brother's house, where we had a family meeting.. it was a real family meeting, there were so many relatives, a lot of food, and a nice pleasant time ..
At noon we came home, and I started to show the pictures I took among the laughs of my family, there were hilarious photos .
On the next day of Eid, we didn't go out, we enjoyed our time with barbeque in the garden followed by Iraqi tea on coal !!
On the third day of Eid, we had a family meeting in my other grandpa brother's house, before lunch S (my dad's cousin) logged in to the internet and we talked with our relatives abroad in a voice chat, and they saw the whole relatives by webcam as the computer is in the living room, it was so much fun, we talked to my dad's uncle in Saudi Arabia, my dad's cousins in Canada, America, and Egypt. And they were able to live the moment with us..
While we were having lunch accidently the soup fall on my trousers, and I spent half an hour in the girls' room trying to remove the oil with baby powder (it's a useful way)..
Then, my mom's uncle who is painter, draw a picture of his brother and my relative while we were watching. then he draw a picture of me and grandpa. it was great.
On the fourth day of Eid we went to my grandpa cousin's house, there was a big family meeting, we saw all of grandpa's cousins, their kids, and grandkids.. we saw Najma and HNK with their family and we spent very lovely time.
In the evenings, we enjoyed playing some old games and tricks with matches, coins, bottles, and pens, and made shows of fire plays in the clear shy.

After Eid, my grandma had a bad influenza, we were planning to go shopping but it was canceled at first .. then my mom suggested that I go with uncle's wife and show her the market and do some shopping..
My grandparents and relatives went to Baghdad , I miss them already!! It was the best Eid ever.. hopefully next Eid we'll be celebrating with all of the relatives who left Iraq , it is a dream, and maybe one day it will come true, I miss them so much, specially my aunt..
On Wednesday after Eid, I went to college, but I was surprised of not seeing professors , and there were only 4 students in my class.. although it is not a holiday, it is silly, before Eid professors were talking about the discipline and how we should never miss a lecture and re build our country, they talk and never act.. our professors disappointed me so much, although they have high degrees they are unable to answer our questions, and not qualified to teach a generation that will one day re build Iraq, they can't give what they don't have..
Sunshine..

20 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Ripama said...

Happy Eid!

It's unfortunate you are disappointed with some of your professors. But in a way it's good that you discovered their deficiencies early. Otherwise their ignorance might have been transferred to you.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Tom from Sydney said...

Thanks for the update Sunshine! It's always great to hear how things are. Don't get too stressed about study...I always just crammed the night before my exams:) (Okay, maybe that's why I'm at work surfing the web instead of doing something imortant.)
Thanks for the photos too, it looks like a great feast!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Jhondie said...

Hello Sunshine! Been a while. I have a lot of catching up to do on your blogs. Well i hope all is well for you.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Roy said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I like your photo's of all the good food and the feet warmers.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The food always looks so good and interesting.

Eid is such a wonderful family occasion. I admire how close you are to your extended family. wonder if the Iraqi diaspora will ever return. Many have been away from Iraq a long time and have established roots in other countries.

Have you ever considered leaving Iraq to go to school? So many of the best professors have left over the years or been killed because the belonged to the wrong faction.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Hartson32 said...

Hi Sunshine!

My name is Elissa, I'm 17 also and I'm from New Zealand. I recently came across a story about your blog in a teen girl magazine (Dolly - it's an Australian magazine). It gave me a huge reality check and a chance to see how lucky I am, which for the most part (I admit) I take for guaranteed. I am really interested in your story and I hope you continue with this blog. If you are ever interested in having a pen pal on this side of the world I would be happy to be that person.

Peace be with you and those you care for.

Cheers,

Elissa

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Long time no see you.

You look well.

AO

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely to hear from you and thank you for the pictures of feasts. University is often about self-motivation and self-learning. Not all the professors at my university could teach well (or at all). However, they did teach us the value of teaching ourselves (and I was also part of a group who taught each other from what we knew and understood).

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Captain Jarred Fishman, USAFR said...

Hello Sunny!

Good to see you still writing, don't leave us behind when you are famous so keep posting even just a few sentences so we know you are okay and doing well. You have many semeseters of college- you will have better professors so do not worry about that! Study hard and be happy

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Maria said...

Hello Sunshine,

My name is Maria and Im from Australia.
I recently read a story about your blog in an issue of Dolly Magazine. I felt so touched by your story and it made me realise how lucky i am and that you should never take anything for guaranteed(I admit i sometimes do.) I hope you continue with this blog and that peace is with you and your family & friends.
Good-Luck,
Maria, x

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Dancewater said...

May all your dreams come true in the new year!

Best wishes!

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous pjamas said...

Sunshine,
Read about you while reading a post from Michael Yon. Really enjoyed reading your Dec 5th thoughts. How disheartening to listen to a professor that has no clue. It's like the Wizard of OZ. Dorothy thinks she has finally found someone that can answer her questions only to find out the answers were within herself all along.
Keep up the good work Sunshine and let me know if you ever find yourself in Arizona.

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Yon mentioned you, so I took a look at your blog. I understand your frustration with your professors ... you will need to study hard, it is not impossible, but will take continual work on your part. Years from now, when it is your turn to teach, do not forget your lessons, the frustration, the desire to learn, to have the answers

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not give up your desire to learn, it should become a life long habit. Remember, when it is your turn to teach, the frustration and disappointments you have had and why. To a degree, which you will have to determine, do not be overly concerned with your own honor or shame, those things are only from men, what you work for is your nation,your people and more ... those are worth more than the cheap things others call honor, and shame

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Antonio Baladad said...

Hi Sunshine!
This is Antonio from the Philippines.

CUTE SHOES!!!1111

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Nameless Babble said...

Hey, Sunshine!

I just came across your blog now and I have to say it is truly amazing. You honestly make me feel ashamed of myself because I cave in and get depressed at the slightest set-back, while you stay optimistic through anything.

I know it's too late, but happy eid :)

& inshaAllah we will be able to not only rebuild Iraq, but the whole Arab world.

www.namelessbabble.blogspot.com

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous ushnaa :) said...

hay my names ushna and im from australia. i recently read an article about you in Dolly magazine and got so inspired. it reminded me of all the things i take for granted. i think ur a great girl and ur blogs really inspire me.

keep up the great work (Y)
cheers xx

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Jess said...

Hi Sunshine,
I'm 13 years old and I live in Brisbane.
I read about your blog in Frankie (a magazine) and I just want to say thank you. You are truly an inspiration to everybody around the world.
Good luck becoming an engineer :-)
Love,
Jess

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunshine! :)
I just finished reading your story in an Australian magazine called Frankie and was amazed. Like most others, it was a huge reality check for me. Thanks for the photos too, I had never seen pictures like that before, it is so different to what we see on the news here. And the food looks delicious!
I honestly wish you, your family and friends the best and will continue to check up on your blog now and then!

- Georja.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sunshine, I am reading ur comments from Australia and the reason I found out about ur blog was through a friend who bought a Frankie Magazine and ur short article was in it. She is Australian but b/c I am Iraqi, she showed it to me and together we visited ur page. I just want to say u r such a strong young woman so keep doing what u do best and study hard so u have a brighter future. I will be thinking of u. I pray that one day soon we have our beloved country back the way it was before the war. Love from Roxy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home