Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Sunshine, the future engineer ..

The holiday is almost finished, I had the happiest time in the last month of the holiday, I applied to engineering collage and I was accepted , so it is a dream come true for me after the hard work I did, my friends were also accepted in the collages they wanted.
Two weeks ago, my family and I visited my friend who recently graduated from the medicine collage, we had a fantastic time together, I taught her how to use her new mobile (N 97) and her laptop, she didn't have time during her six years in medicine collage to learn using the new electronics devices..
Last week I was invited to a big party, my friend Y's brother graduated from law collage so his mother made lovely party, we had lots of fun and danced a lot, I reached home unable to walk and I walked shoeless inside the house for two days !! (the shoe wasn't comfortable but nice!!!), everything was perfect, the DJ, the hall, the decoration, and the food, also the invited people were all from the most respectful families in the city, they had a great spirit, classy with a sense of humor ..
Last week also, our close friends, uncle S's family invited us for lunch, Najma and HNK were there with their mother, we spent a great time, their new house looks wonderful, I'd never seen such a lovely, comfortable, and classy house, my favorite thing in their house was the summer living room with glassy ceiling(sky light) and green house, it is great to lay in the living room and watch stars, and they also have a warn living room in winter, the architect did a great job, it is definitely the perfect house..
the other great thing that happened was visiting my new collage, I loved it from the first sight, the university is huge and had so many collages, many are over hills, also there is a mall inside the university with cafeterias, when my mom and I went out of the collage, we went to a small and lovely shop for soft drinks, then we went shopping, I am soooooo eager to start the new academic year, in the career I choose despite people's ideas to attend dentistry or pharmacy, I thought a lot and both of my heart and mind were telling me to attend engineering .. and I prayed that I made the right choice.
As I am so happy to be an engineer, I invited my relatives for lunch, I want to share them my happiness, so last Saturday was the big day..
I made two turkeys, and 3 kinds of dessert (Caramel cake, cheese cake, apples pai, kamal pasha which is a Turkish dessert), my mom made salad so famous salads Fatoosh, and aubergines salad. my grandma made Dolma, kuba, Erook, kabab, Tuka, rice with roast chicken. My relatives were amazed and adored the meals and the turkeys I made, and asked me to be a chief instead of an engineer :D hehe
There were 27 adults, 6 teenagers, and lots of kids, everyone was enjoying time, and thank god no one talked about policy and bad news, the men talked a lot about cars and social subjects, and women talked about their kids and school , cooking and such topics, while relatives my age and I said lots of jokes and talked about collage and clothes.
Any topic is better than policy, it will never lead us to a solution for the situation, and will cause more pain and sadness only.
After my relatives left, we cleaned the whole house, I was exhausted, as soon as I laid on bed BOOOM an explosion happened, I was praying " plz god, not today I can't clean and fix the house today plz plz" it was a nearby explosion but the windows didn't break, my grandpa's idea to put wood and corks was good, but the house looks dark..
This month I decided to look at the bright side only, and remember only good things, if I want to live happily I must accept life the way it is , bad things happened but I should move on , because I am incapable to fix the world, and unable to bring peace to my country, all I can do, is to live every day the way it is, and keep in mind that life changes and hopefully bright days will come , and it was a good idea, I feel much better now.
Sunshine, the future engineer .

30 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Blue Satin Sashes said...

Congratulations, Sunshine! I wish you a bright, safe and happy future - for you and your loved ones.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger bairuide said...

Congratulations and a great future !

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger bairuide said...

Congratulations ! have a great career !

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words are so inspirational. Congratulations and keep safe.

JMR

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger RebeccaMom said...

congratulations Sunshine!!! What a wonderful honor to be selected to be an engineer :) May your future career bring you many blessings!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Ripama said...

Future engineer...Which engineering discipline are you interested in?

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Dancewater said...

Best wishes on your future career as an engineer! That is a fantastic choice, I think.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulatios Sunshine! Engineers are real heroes in this world - building up and making this world better instead of destroying. I am confident you will have a great career as an engineer. Best wishes! We will all be following your career as you blog each step of the way!

Stay curious and strong.

Steve from Texas (USA)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Don Cox said...

It's good to hear that you are accepted for the degree course.

I too am wondering which kind of engineering?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

thanks for your wishes .. and thanks for commenting ..
Sunshine
livesstrong92@yahoo.com
livesstrong92@gmail.com

 
At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Cass said...

Hi Sunshine,
I'm from Australia and read your story in Dolly magazine! I was so shocked to hear about all this that's going on in Iraq under our very noses and we didn't know anything about it!
Oh, i know about Saddams opposition is corrupting Iraq and it's new generation of teenagers (especially girls) but i only knew of what i saw on the news and not what goes on behind it! So much suffering and neglection is going on and the rest of the world isn't following up on it!
Thank you for opening my eyes to real world! And good luck on your future on being an engineer! :)
-Cass.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From X Y Z to Sunshi

Think Aerospace Vehicles Engineering.

This Pays well and we need Transport.

See you Sweety

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats sunshine! i dropped by after seeing your article in dolly ;D you have a big heart! hugs hugs and more hugs xxx

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Roy said...

Congratulations on getting into your school. I knew you could do it. It's good to hear good news from you.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sunshine! Its great to know that you're optimistic about these types of things. You're so inspiring, and I know you're going to be a great engineer. You go girl!

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Sunshine! You've worked so hard all these years and now you've gotten what you wanted; what a fantastic accomplishment! :D

How lovely to be able to spend quality time with a wide variety of good people. All the celebrations you've been attending sound like so much fun.

I'm really happy for you. All the best to you as you start a new phase in your life. I know you will continue to shine bright.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Grace said...

I'm from Australia and I just read about your blog in DOLLY. After reading more posts, I realise how much this war affects innocent people. I hope one day that Iraq (and the world) can be a peaceful place where everyone can feel secure and not have to live in such fear. You are such an inspiration. You have gone through so much, yet you still manage to do your best and succeed. Congratulations on all your acheivements and stay strong!

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heey sunshine, i read the story in the newest DOLLY. I was inspired by your blog and yourself. Please, please, please follow my blog and be the first one its about fashion btw.
taa x

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger heyduke12 said...

Yes Grace, Sunshine has gone through so much stress with the war, with her mother being sick, and with things we will never know. Yet she has done exactly what she set out to do.
She is a exceptional girl who will do well in what ever she does. She is the kind of person who will make changes in the world.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

An engineer is traditionally a man's profession. Are there many women engineers in Iraq? I wish you well. Iraq will need engineers to help rebuild your country.

I watched a movie the other night which showed scenes of Baghdad in the 40's to 60's. It looked nice and the streets were clean and orderly.

This movie is a documentary by the National Film Board of Canada, using some home movies of the life of an Iraqi Jewish family. Your grandparents would remember when there was a large Jewish Community in Iraq. If you would like to view this movie here is the web address http://www.nfb.ca/film/baghdad_twist

I hope your computer is good enough to run this video. This Iraqi Jewish community evetually had to leave and came to Canada.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

Dear tossing, thanks a lot for commenting, engineering is women and men's job in iraq.. my aunt is a civil engineer, and i have so many female relatives who are engineers.
actually in some engineering colleges women are even more than men!
have a nice day.
Sunshine

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous VAL :) said...

:) CONGRATZ I HOPE UR OK i heared a story about u wanting to change iraq I HOPE IT HAPPENS good luck and remeber ..specially this NEVER EVER DARE GIVE UP TRY AS BEST AS U CAN I KNOW AND BELEIVEN YOU, U CAN CHANGE IRAQ, GOD BLESS U SUNSHINE!and hope ur wish and dreams come all true oh and in the mag the story was called "I BLOG ABOUT LIFE IN IRAQ"

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear sunshine,
How are you ?? hope fine.
Soory for my late replay coz i was in Lebanon for about 2 weeks.
I had training there in the drug compnay "jamjoom pharma".
Congratulation for being in the colllege of engineering, wish you bright future there and be big engineer in the future.
My warm regards.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous bingo lady said...

Glad to know you got accepted! There's so much light ahead of you! Keep up with your dreams, Sunshine, the future Engineer!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

CONGRATS!!!! That's wonderful news!!!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger John said...

Congratulations, Sunshine! You're AWESOME!
Love and prayers,
from your fans

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

hey! great blog! engineering? which division? feel free to check out my blog...www.poproject.blogspot.com!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Mühendis said...

Very nice career. Congralatuions. I hope you will have a happy life.

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay sunshine! you'll be a great role model for women in your country that women can do anything! don't give up!

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can do anything you set your mind to :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home