Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Monday, September 04, 2006

About my summer holiday..

Hello friends , I know that I am not writing to you often , but I am very busy with my book, I have many things I want to write about, but we get electricity once a day ! I can work on internet for 60 minutes or less !!!!
The scholastic year will begin on Wednesday 20/9/2006 …that mean three days before Ramadan , I feel hungry already , (Ramadan Kareem to everybody specially Muslims). This year we’ll study religion ( it has 2 books ) , Arabic (4 books) , English ( 2 books , grammar and a novel ) , French , Kurdish , Physics , Chemistry, computer , history , geography , biology , mathematics , art and sport !!!! . if I get in every subject 90% and higher I won’t attend the final exam , that’s wonderful . It’s hard , but I will do my best, and study day and night , I pray and hope that we will have nice teachers this year .
I can’t believe that I finished secondary school ,And I am in the high school! And three years later I will go to collage.
In this summer holiday I think that the best thing that happened is the improvement of my relationship with my father , now we get along so well , we became closer , we talk together , my dad came with me to the computers’ markets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to buy my own musical keyboard , and a laptop, but I changed my plans. I bought golden jewelries, because it is more valuable, and I can get my money back in case I sell them at any time I need money , and I am still confused about buying another desktop Computer , musical keyboard or exercise machine ! .
We went only one time to the computers’ market, but it was closed !!! and because of fuel shortage it is hard to go again .
I read "Anne of green gables" but I didn’t finish it yet , and read " here is the answer" and " the history will not start tomorrow" it talks about the Iraq history , it is a political book and very looooooong , but I finished it .
In the beginning of the summer holiday I bought two dictionaries , they are very helpful , Arabic – English and English- Arabic . They help me in my posts too , to find the correct synonyms .
My sister , mother and I made so many handmade work, and spent wonderful time.
My mother go to work almost everyday and leave Mariam and Yosif with me , they always drive me crazy . I usually prepare the breakfast , clean and organize the house so that my mom feel comfortable when she reaches the house .
In this holiday I went to 3 weddings , Nishan and Laylat al henna , I had a nice time , we visit our nearby relatives twice a week .
I couldn’t sleep in my room this summer because it is not safe , and it is tooooo hot , I wake up many times during the night because of the shooting and the hot weather , we can’t sleep in the roof ( as many Iraqis did this summer),it is dangerous because of the explosions’ shrapnels and erratic bullets.


(those are some of the shrapnels and bullets that we found on our roof )

I became very anxious person , I feel worried about my dad and mother , because their way is not safe , they see some times see corpses thrown in their way to work and exploded mines everyday , and I also feel worried about my grandpa while he is in his work , and about my grandparents who live in Baghdad because the situation there is horrible , and the list don’t end .
I have continues headache , I feel worried about everything , specially my family safety and my school , how can I go to school with the absence of fuel and security ? my school is very far , and the way is dangerous .
But beside that I think it was good , I made so many achievements .
Mother Jones magazine made an interview with me the next interview will be with NHK TV o soon …
Take care ,
Sunshine .

14 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,
My heart just aches for you when I hear about the shots, explosions and death that surrounds you. It is not fair that any child has to be in a circumstance like that.
You dear one, are the voice of the future. You are the voice of what is happening, and how we can change it.
I pray for you each and every day. I pray for your safety and the safety of so many families like yours.
Keep safe dear one, and keep writing. Your words are more important than you might imagine.
XOXO

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,

for what it's worth said it so very much nicer than I could. I am in 100% agreement with her.

I served a few years in combat, when I was much younger and I am familiar with some of the terrible noises you describe. Fortunately, I never served where people were directing their attacks at innocent children and their families.

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches and hope they will stop soon.

I'm also extremely happy to hear that you and your father are getting along so much better.

Please keep writing as often as it is convenient for you. We all love to hear from you but understand that you cannot write as often as we would like.

Stay safe. Our Prayers are with you and all the innocent people in Iraq.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool post ..

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Jason here in the States learned how to read Kurdish out loud (without understanding what it meant) for a linguistics class 2 years ago!

Random trivia.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Sunshine,

Your post is cool.
It is very good that you didn't sleep on the roof, look how many shrapnels you found!

Don't worry about going to your school dear, since there are so many good people are praying for your safety, and since your desire is to challenge the difficulties, God will never leave you alone!

BTW: what kinda hand work you do?
Sinnara? or what?

Cheer up always :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Fille-de-Etoile said...

Good luck with school. Wow, you have lots of subjects to handle. Just focus on one subject at a time. I hope your headaches goes away too. Yeah, you're having a better relationship with your dad. It's important to stay close to family and friends to help you through the difficult times over there. Have a great day!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Diana Joy said...

Hi Sunshine:)
WOW!!! I'm praying!!! "for what it's worth" did say it all! I wish sooo badly I could be there to protect you from all of this...but, remember everything happens for a reason. Someday you will change the world with your words!!!!!!!!
((((BIG HUG))))
God bless!
Diana Joy

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger olivebranch said...

Dear Sunshine,
glad the images worked out for you :) this is a very good post, I was hoping maybe you could write a nice post with some details about Ramadan over the next few weeks and post it on the Olivebranch Network, because we do not have many about it yet, and it's a very important and often miss-understood religious event!

Good luck with your book, I can't wait to read it :) You are getting quite a fan base now you know, I told you and still tell you:

No matter what anyone says, no matter how much doubt you may feel, no matter how much you suffer;

One day you, I, and all the others who care enough to try, will change this world in a real, physical way. We WILL make it a better place. We have the heart, the brain power and the numbers now to make a real impact on this world, as your writing has already done, but on a much larger scale.

Always keep up your good work my dear, you know how much it means to us outside Iraq.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Cheryl Z. said...

HI, Just stumbled across your blog. Wanted to say Good luck with school. You will be in my thoughts as well.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger CharlesWT said...

Blogging from Iraq: INTERVIEW: Four Iraqi bloggers[including Sunshine] describe what the war has done to their country—and to them.

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - package holidays in india. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,
I wrote yesterday complaining you study too much. I've just read about your interview with NHK - the Japanese national broadcaster. You were on the telly in Japan!? Wow! Famous, aren't you! I want to see it. I hope I can find it on the net.

I noticed your blog ages ago. I read just a little, but it was too sad so I stopped reading it immediately. I don't want to be sad, but I am making an effort to read through everything you have written. I should be working - I help my Japanese wife to translate.
Steen

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sunshine

I found your profile interesting. I like the books that you read and the music you listen too.

I admire your strength. Keep your chin up girl and dream good thoughts about your country. Look for the good everywhere, despite all that is presently just the converse.

Keep up your spirits, sharing good thoughts about your country's future. Keep at it, no matter how horrible things seem at the moment.


Think the best
Feel the best
and
The best will happen

Lots of warm regards
evolving_everyday
India

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hej...i was looking for a short story about -my summer holiday-for school... and i found ur blog...i admire u.. coz i know whats going on there... so many dead ppl...omg ... i am about ur age and i just want to say...keep going.. :D:D:D goodbye from croatia(zadar)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home