Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Women in my country...

Iraqi women:
I will not pretend that our women are as free as women in America, western countries, & in other foreign countries. In fact they are of different factions, I suggest to divide these factions into three :
-Let me start with the best faction, the highly educated women:
They have collegiate attestations; this faction consists of two levels, --*level one. They’re doctors, engineers, pharmacists, and those have PHD in different specialties.
* Level two, They also have collegiate attestations, they graduated from the scientific or literary collages.
Those educated women form a good ratio; I can’t give numbers because I don’t have statistics. But I know they are many, because most families we know their women are collegians. And ignoring this faction is unfair.
-The second faction:
Women finished their high school education, or at least primary education. They are either working women or not.
The third faction:
Women didn’t go to school, (illiterates) some of them are land girls, charwomen, mendicants, etc or stayed home. Most of them are in the villages, although some of them live in the cities.
The backwardness increased in Iraq after the gulf war, due to the neediness .And that was among girls & boys .Specially after the economical sanctions, many poor children stopped attending schools, although they get free education, some of them had to work & sustain their families, others stayed at home to save the other costs like, stationeries, clothes, bags, shoes….etc.
That was about education &women in my country.
Let me tell you about women independency &liberty in declaring their opinions &deciding their life style with respect to our traditions, ethics& religion. I see that people from different countries misjudge that. They are exaggerating about that too.
For example, my grandmothers have strong personality, and I think they are a little bit bossy. They had their own jobs, (now they are retired), they always discuss life matters, with friends, neighbors, family members and relatives. They always have their own opinions even about the politics.Specialy know a days, when my grandparents & Dad, discuss the Constitution, I can tell you my grandma is the most enthusiastic one among them during the discussion.
Discussions. She follows the news channels, & read the newspapers. She can lead any discussion so easily.
I don’t want to generalize any of these factions, but to have them all in our society is a fact.
You deserve to know the truth…
Sunshine…

9 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger In His Steps said...

Post secondary education in Canada (and the US) is very expensive. One must either A: Have the money already or B: have saved for the education or C: Take out a loan and pay on it for many years after graduation.
I am a registered nurse and attended college for two years. That was over 20 years ago. Now I am working on my university degree part time. Each course that I take is over $400 but there is some government assistance for these courses which helps.
It does sound like women in your country have many opportunities to be highly educated. That is something that I didn't really understand Sunshine until I started reading your blog. Thank you for educating us in the lives of Iraqi women. Kim

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting and necessary post sunshine. thank you.
starliz

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Jack B. said...

Wonderful post, Sunshine. Very informative about something we don't hear much about. In a sense, Kim is right, despite the problems its having Iraq seems to have a great educational system (look at all the Iraqi bloggers out there) and the fact that its free for everyone is a much better system than in America where many people can't afford college or end up going in debt paying their college bills.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,
Nice post, as usual. I think that maybe some people tend to think that Iraqi women were like the women in Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia or Iran. They may be educated as well yet they are still very much kept hidden away or in their place, protected, the men insist and the braiwashed, fearful women declare. Sunshine are you aware of the way they live? Is that the way that you would like to live? I fear that that is the way you and every other female Iraqi WILL be living if your countrymen and women don't stand up and put a stop to it now! See Basra and where it is headed.

Lynn

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine, You give us so much information that has not been shown anywhere else. I learn a lot from your posts. Thank you very much.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this doesn't sound pedantic, but I liked your analysis and it got me thinking.

This is your observation, but you could also look at it logically. Instead of distinguishing by education, you could say the best faction you describe is the one that has employment in a politically protected field. Practicing these professions is restricted by law, and the "higher" professions have restrictions to entry all the way back to college, high school, etc.

It would seem harder to distinguish between level 2, 3, and 4, but then the distinction isn't a legal one.

Also, being from the country maybe you can make more generalizations between woman by what region they live than what education they have.

ryan

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger quixote said...

One of the saddest things for me is that my country, which was supposedly symbolized by Lady Liberty, should have had such a bad effect on the possbilities for women in Iraq. As far as I can tell, the US government doesn't give a tiny damn about it, either. Not really, although they blow hot air every once in a while.

It's just the mercy of God that there are women like you and many of the others you mention, as well as many men of conscience, who may be able to turn all the bad effects to something good.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» » »

 
At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home