Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Ramadan Karim.....

This week my friend Marwa visited me, she lives in my neighborhood, and I find her really nice person, they were forced to leave their home in Baghdad and come to Mosul, she felt like a stranger but not for long time, because we made a party in school for the girls who came from Baghdad and allocated money, and bought new clothes and stuff they need (I participated in that and wrote a post about that event).
Marwa's house was in my aunt Rose's neighborhood, the situation there is not good and Marwa saw many dead people thrown in front of her house, she talked to me about that, she even witnessed murders in front of her eyes. It is really hard to see a person murder and you can't do anything to stop that. It is not strange here, many teenagers witnessed murders and saw horrible views, even the kids.
Anyway, we had a good time during her visit, she borrowed books and CDs from me, because she left all of her books, stuff, and CDs in Baghdad..
We talked about her journey to Sulaymaniyah, she spent a great month there, wearing and doing whatever she want, without being afraid from the terrorists. It is safe there, Sulaymaniyah is very nice place in the northern part of Iraq, they could go because her aunt is married to a Kurdish man. I wish I can visit sulaymaniyah one day ..
While we were talking and eating potato chips we heard a nearby shooting, we looked from the window and saw the man who was shooting, he was very close to my house, wearing a white shirt, dark trousers, and sitting on his knee.. we kept watching him shooting.
*****************
This week I visited one of my dad's uncle family, they live in my neighborhood but we don't visit them often, their daughter got engaged and I was busy to help them for three days, I made the bride's hair, her 3 sisters and mothers' hair!!(I inherited my gift from grandma), my mom and I made the decoration.
It was very nice Nishan party, there were many girls in my age, we had a great time and danced a lot, their neighbor has a BIG stereo (I love loud music), I spent really nice time, although when the party started I was exhausted!, her friends are really nice and we got along well, in spite of the age difference, we kept talking about her fiancé, the dresses she'll wear, make up, hair style, fashion, guys (of course), and then we talked about the situation !! (I don't know why, we talk about a subject then we turn it on the war, electricity, fuel, and situation!).
But my joy didn't last for long time, my dad's friend was murdered, the terrorists slaughtered him, and put his identity on his head, the terrorists called his boss and said they'll kill this man because he's infidel !!!! (now the terrorists kill a person and put his head on his chest, then throw him in the street or a land out side the city, many times the dogs eat the corpse, and that person's family keep searching and can't find him, or bury him).
My dad friend's corpse was thrown in a neighborhood near mine.
That made me worry about my dad, I don't know why but R's story came to my mind and I burst into tears, I begged him to stay in the house and never go to work (my dad is an engineer), but he refused.. I pray for my family's safety and all the innocents and people I love, hoping one day god will answer my prayer..
The situation in REALLY bad, everyday a mine, car bomb, or shooting awake me. I want to start my day with something nice, like the peg top's sound not a horrifying sound, not a loud explosions and shrapnels' sound falling on my house, I want to wake up and stay few minutes in my bed stretching and yawing not running and hitting the furniture ! (that's a dream I am not sure if it'll come true soon, sometimes I feel it is like Lucifer's dream to enter the paradise :D)
**************************
The first day of Ramadan will be on Wednesday or Thursday (depends on the moon), in Ramadan Muslims fast from sunrise till the darkfall, to feel the same as paupers who don't have money to buy food, so that we don’t' forget to help them.
Ramadan teach us how to be patient, and be closer to god..
In this month people give paupers money and food (we don't do that in Ramadan only, but we give with much generous in this blessed month), my family used to buy new clothes, toys and food for the orphans, and give money to poor widows..
Muslims also give alms in this month, which is 2.5% from their saves, and 10% from their crop , in case they have a farm ... there is also alms for gold , and alms for many things.
Since I was a kid I used to give paupers from the money I save, the more I give the happier I feel.
In Ramadan Muslims should NEVER fight, even if they were in a war, they should announce armistice or conciliating. (I mean the people who are real Muslims, not the pretenders). Even the people who have problems with their relatives or friends should reconcile them. Because Ramadan is a blessed month full of mercy.
When the TV. Channel announce that the next day is Ramadan, the muezzin start saying the Takberat (praising god) which I very much like. There are wonderful TV shows in Ramadan, and really nice series, luckily I'll be able to watch them and enjoy the last 15 days of my summer holiday!
To all of my friends and readers, specially the Muslims, blessed Ramadan (Ramadan Karim), may all of your dreams come true.
And for my Iraqi friends and readers, may this Ramadan be peaceful, and we'll all live a peaceful life, without killing, explosions, and shootings...
In Ramadan god answer the prayers , let's all pray for a new shining and peaceful day for Iraq, may the terrorists vanish and we have a developed country, I am writing this post feeling positive and full of hope..
*************************************
About what we've done for the Jordanians, we supplied them with electricity and oil for years, for free.. scholarships, salary for every Jordanian student, they used to take the Iraqi places in university, they should be thankful, not mean ..
I receive SOOOOO MANY E-mails asking me about my opinion in US troops, and war, I'd appreciate if you read my ex posts, I answered this question hundreds of times, I don't mind answering that over and over if I have electricity and enough time to write… I am thinking of making a section (under the links) and talk about my opinion about war and soldiers. Good idea?????!
You're welcome to ask me what you like, but be patient, sometimes I answer after long time.
Sunshine.

22 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger John said...

Sunshine, I am so sad that things are so dangerous and I will keep praying that you and your dear ones will be protected. I hope you have a really good Ramadan and feel God really close to you. I wish there was something more I could say.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Eventhough I'm no Muslim I wish you - and everybody - a blessed Ramadan, like I wish you every day be a beautiful day. Your situation is really hard to believe - I always ask myself how it feels, but I pray I'll never do. I wish you were not in that situation you have to pray for your father, when he goes to work - why can't the terrorists worship Ramadan - and every day - like you? I don't understand them...

I wish you a blessed Ramadan, beautiful days and many, many friends. Keep shining!

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine. It may be dangerous to write about the war, politics, soldiers. Best avoid the "situation".

I do not understand Ramadan, but I hope you will enjoy some peace during this time.
steen

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Beautiful Painting!!!

AO

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog.Happy Ramadhan

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger EILEEN said...

Please take care of yourself. I fear for the safety of you and everyone innocent being in Iraq. Sorry I can't do more to help.. Continue the optimism! (:

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jay said...

ramadhan kareen ya sunshine! السلام عليكم

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunshine,

I hope you can find the little blessings in your everday life and cling to them. What you are going through is making you stronger and giving you determination.

I am around lots of teens who have it easy and think everything will be handed to them when they become adults. They want the paycheck but don't want to work for it. You are far more mature and wise. This strength and wisdom will carry on into your adult life and you will be in a position to bring more goodness and change into the world. You are a light, even now at such a young age.

This easy, indulgent life some of us have can make us self-centered. It can take our eyes off of God and cause us to rely on ourselves. We all must rely on God, regardless of our situation. That is exactly where He wants us all. When we rely on Him, beautiful things happen that those who are fixated on the worldy things cannot understand.

Let us pray for your enemies - that God will change their hearts and open their eyes. And I pray for you and your family - that you will continue to have hope and strength. He will be victorious in the end.

Mary

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a Jordanian I say that we have been terrible hosts. the Iraqis in Jordan deserve better. but remember the role of the Jordanian government in exploiting them and in poising the atmosphere.

This is how it happened. The poor Iraqi refugees come to jordan and bring billions of dollars with them to invest in Jordan.

The regime collects their money, and instead of supporting Jordanians by reducing taxis or increasing subsidies to fuel or education, the opposite happens. There is an inflation explosion. Rent goes up, subsidies are reduced or lifted altogether, education costs skyrocket, life becomes unbearable for most Jordanians.

All the while, government folks split the tax and custom revenues collected from the massive Iraqi investments.

The local jordanian press and media keep mum on the government's part pocketing the money but never fails to remind us the Iraqis are behind the killer inflation, which could have been managed had the government not pocketed Iraqi money but instead kept fuel and education and food subsidies.

As a Jordanian who can do nothing to change anything, all I can say to my Iraqi friends: I am so so so so so sorry for the way you have been exploited. I wish if I can do anything to make your lives comfortable in Jordan. but as you can see, we have no control over our own lives.

But rest assured that the overwhelming majority of Jordanians are sympathetic and supportive. But these Jordanians have no voice.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, just heard you on BBC, found your blog and added it under favourites. Will show my daughter, she is also 15 years old!
Peter, Sweden.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Dancewater said...

I think it would be a good idea to make links to your prior posts where you expressed your opinions already. It will save you time, I think.
and a blessed Ramadan to you and your family and friends!

 
At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, feel sad of your plight, and fear for your safety. I'll be praying for you for, a long time! I hope you stay safe, and hope that you find happiness in all that you can.

Take Care, and stay safe.

Christopher
Plymouth, England.

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, have the best Ramadan you can, and I hope that you can soon return to a sense of normality, whatever that is, and however far away it seems.

Take Care,

Chris


www.mindofateen.co.nr
http://mindofateen.wordpress.com

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Happy Ramadan!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Linda G. said...

I too am wishing you and your family a safe and happy Ramadan!
I think the idea of links to your posts answering often repeated questions is a good one.
Still praying for you every day...

 
At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny I know you are kind of scared of our troops, but just to let you know, the best things I've heard about Iraqis, comes from our soldiers. I wish you and your family a happy and peaceful Ramadan.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Marshmallow26 said...

Hello Synshine ,

Ramadan Kareem 3alech dear and God not responds to prayers in Ramadan only but in every single day throughout the year ;)


Stay safe dear.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and I'm so glad I found it. You write beautifully, and I hope someday the situation surrounding you will be as beautiful and touching as the way you write.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and I'm so glad I found it. You write beautifully, and I hope someday the situation surrounding you will be as beautiful and touching as the way you write.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger MIchael Jones said...

Sunshine...I hope you and your father and the rest of your loved ones are safe and that this insanity ends soon. I am one of the Americans who very strongly opposed this invasion and occupation from the start.


Peace and happiness always

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger pink_suspenders said...

As Salam mu alaikum ya ukhti,

Eid Mubarak!
What a great blog you have here. though the font can be bigger (i had to increase it coz it's a tad too small for my eyes) but your entries are great.
Regarding the issues/topics, you can create labels. Blogspot has that capability now, wherein you can label your posts, making them easier to find/identify. this will help visitors who are interested in reading about certain stuff to find them. For example, relatives can refer to news abt family members, US troops to refer to posts abt the US army etc.

My bf is currently serving in Rustamiyah. I pray for his safe return home every day, as well as hoping the situation in Iraq will improve with time, and i know a bit about how things are in Iraq based on his stories.

I admire your courage and strength, facing what you face each day, waking up to a new day even though you know it might be full of sad news and explosions. Keep writing, i hope one day things will be better and you will be able to go to uni.

Oh..i forgot to tell you. im a Muslim sister from Malaysia, currently in my last two months of uni, i will be an English teacher and start teaching next yr.

G luck and be safe. I hope you will keep writing, it is one of the ways to improve your language as well as help you go through the things you do each day.

Send my salam to your family. Allah protect you all, insya Allah.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Ramadan Mubarak !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home