Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I am eighteen ...

Last month, I had my midyear theoretic exams, they were really hard, and as these were the first exams we have in college we were in shock!
The professors said it is very common in engineering colleges , but I felt really frustrated, because I used to take high marks always in high school.
We still didn't get used to the way our professors explain, and in mathematics we face a huge difficulty as the professor abbreviated 14 lectures to one!! So we didn't understand a word, and I went to the Dean with few students and postponed the exam after many trials to convince him.
My holiday was fine, I spent the first week in Mosul, I had 9 homework of geometrical drawing, I spent two days working on them for 12 hours till I finished them, you can't imagine how my back was killing me by then.
On Friday 29/1 I celebrated my 18'th birthday, my friends visited me and we had a nice celebration and a great time, during supper my English high school teacher called to wish me a happy birthday, so I told her I have a surprise and opened the speaker, my friends and I said "HELLO MISS", she was so happy to speak to her previous students, I am the only one who's still in touch with her, we had really nice conference.
Age 17 was great, I achieved one of my biggest dreams which is going to the college I love, and I made my parents more proud.
I got rid of my night bruxism, and I feel less tensioned than before, and I am working on being more relaxed.
I experienced many things that made me stronger in person, as well as left an impression that will stay in my heart forever.

I am more mature than last year, and I look at many things in a new prospective, it is a normal thing of course, but it is amazing how one year in human's life can has such an effect on his personality .. the biggest lesson I learned was it is ok to make mistakes sometimes, as long as I learn from them , and it is better to be good in many things, than being perfect in one field, the things I got though taught me a lot, and I am really grateful and thankful for god for keeping me and my family alive and safe..
My wishes for my 18year , is having a good health, and seeing my family and mom having a happier, safer life, and enjoying their health, I also want to publish my book, it is a long journey ! but my book is in the final stage (I hope), I also want to succeed from the first trial in collage.. I am planning to learn driving, and get a license..
Now , as I am 18, I can vote although my voice will make no defference!!!, I'll do what I can to make this country a better place. I know many people are frustrated and some will not participate in voting because there are a lot of cheating in results, but as Ghandy says " you should be the change you want to see in the world" , I can't fix Iraq, but I can be a good citizen do my duty, it is my job.. I really wish to live a peaceful life this year ..
I wished for so many things before I blew my candles, but the first wish was living in peace, I wonder how many times will I blow the candles and wish the same before having a free, peaceful country!!!

On Saturday I went to Baghdad, my mom had an appointment with the doctor, and thank god , her health is fine now .
In Baghdad I celebrated my birthday again with my grandparents, we spent a nice time ..
My brother had a high fever , so we didn't go anywhere except in the last two days..
On Wednesday , we had lunch in a lovely restaurant in al Rubaii street (my favorite place in Baghdad), and we also went shopping , and then we went to a nice park , my brother and sister played , we enjoyed our time so much ..
Then in the next day, we went to the zoo and a place called " Al Zawraa", it has nice gardens and a lake, it is the first time we see al Zawraa.
Baghdad was empty this visit, the Shiites were in karbala as they have ceremonies there, that's why we took this chance to go out, see al Zawra! The streets were empty.
What was weird is the so many signs and flags in streets, those ethnic traditions came to Iraq after war, it is painful to see the country in this way.
The funniest thing is when we went to al Zawra we saw many people calling their relatives and saying " you will not believe?! Al Zawra is almost empty, there are only respectful families with their kids, take the chance and come" .. people avoid going to al Zawra because the majority who visit it are from rotten level in our community ,although it's nice place with beautiful nature..
We saw many families from mosul, and the journey was perfect .. a woman said to me " we'll come to al Zawra, every year like this time!!"
Then, on Friday, we had lunch in my relatives house, and the supper at the restaurant ..
*************************************
This week in college was nice, I did well in mathematics, and we had some break time, the weather is cool and I spent lovely time with my friends, one of my friends "N" got engaged, frankly I find it weird as she's only 19, but she's glad and this guy loved her since she was in high school, so I am happy for her..
Her engagement party will be after the election, so we are excited..
Sunshine

18 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray you live in peace also! Happy birthday (a little late.)

Steve in Texas

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous ushna said...

Happy Birthday Sunshine!
my names ushna, im 13 and live in australia. Ive been reading ur blogs for a while now and they are so inspirational.I see you love eid and ramadhan, i do too! I love the happy vibes during that time! And then the big festivals at eid!
anyway id love to get an email from you, please send me one @ cury_muncha@hotmail.com
cheers ushna <3

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Don Cox said...

Great pictures, especially the plants. Thanks.

I think most people find a big change between 17 and 18.

It is interesting to see both you and HNK studying really difficult subjects. I'm sure you will do well in the end - but don't expect to get full marks every time!

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS You can really say you are (almost) an adult now. Dont worry, remember you were warned that these exams were going to be harder.
Take care
starliz

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Michael said...

Happy birthday and all best wishes for the next year!

Michael

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Roy said...

Happy Birthday. You will do well in school. That's why you are called Sunshine. Even on dark days you make the day shine.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Lucky Punk said...

Hi, Sunshine.
Happy late Birthday... I'm so glad that you made it to your top choice college, and that your Mom is in good health!

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous potenta said...

Happy-happy birthday! i`m a little late, but you deserve these wishes from all of us. nice pics. happy birthday again.

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very Happy Birthday to you Sunshine and many many more to come. I'm happy to hear things are going well and things are slowly improving in Iraq. As for college, hang in there, I have faith in you.
Keep your Sun Shining, Solo

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger A. Damluji said...

"you can't imagine how my back was killing me by then."

i can actually, been through engineering college and i know what a pain in the "back" those drawings can be!

get this though: i once achieved a mark of 102% in drawing:

i got 92 for an almost perfect drawing, and 10 grades because i turned it in, almost forty minutes faster than everyone else!

this was in Saddam/Nahrain university BEFORE the war, when the grading was still very, VERY harsh :)
(passing grade was 60% and there was no repeating if you fail. you get kicked out)

anyway, enough gloating:
been a while, S :) good to see you are still writing :)

oh and

rotten levels: الطبقات المتعفنة
يعني مثل الطبقات المتعففة لو اشنو بقى؟ هههههههههههههه

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

هلووو شكرا جزيلا علكومينت
ماشاء الله زينة درجاتك .. درجاتنا من 10 و اخذ بين ال7 و ال9 عادة
و قصدت بهل مصطلح الشروك بس ماعرفت شلون اعبر ههه طلعت بالقاموس الكلمة و مكتوب الضحل الواطيئ .. تعرف كلمة اقرب لهذا المعني ؟

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Kadam007 said...

Sunshine,
It's "Gandhi" and not "Ghandy" :)

Cheers!
An Indian

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad you are having a lovely time these days. Happy Birthday. Hard to believe you are now 18, after reading you blog for so many years. I look forward to your book.

The park looks really interesting. Part of it look like a botanical garden. I am not sure if the zoo is with it or not. It is so nice to see a pretty place in Iraq. All those street scene we see of destruction with burned out cars and trucks and destroyed building, fills one with sadness. To think you struggle to live with the uglyness of the invasion. Death and destruction invading your senses.

I was surprised that the birthday cake had English writing on it. I would have expected Arabic. Now I am not sure how much English is used in your daily life?

I have read your mother's blog on occasion. I admire her so and she has struggled with the situation in Iraq. She like most Iraqi's deserve peace and properity. We hold on to a faith that it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I regret that you feel your vote will accomplish nothing. One vote matters little but the accumulated votes of many can change things and give you a right to demand change. Keep voting.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger orm749 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Ripama said...

The 1st year engineering is the most tedious and alien for many people. I'm not sure what geometric drawing is, but when I was in high school I took drafting for 2 years, so by time I got to college, geometric drawing wouldn't have been a problem. One part of the course I remember was "Intersections and Developments" where you take geometric shapes and mate them with other shapes. I didn't like it until I discovered that this exercise was importent for designing air conditioning ducts. Sometimes you just don't see the big picture til later, then it all makes sense.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger olivebranch said...

Sounds like it is going to be an interesting year for you this year sunny :)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i love the pictures of the garden! happy really late bday lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home