Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The best 17th birthday ever..

Hello friends ,
I was very busy with studying, I had a lot of subjects to study..
Two weeks ago, our friend( Baghdad dentist) visited us, he came to Mosul for couple of days, we had very nice time ..
Last Friday, I celebrated my birthday with three of my best friends in a gorgeous café, my mom's work-collage organized everything for my birthday, and he did a great job..
We celebrated on candle lights , and I loved every moment of my birthday, my friends and I was amazed, he made very nice surprises for us, and played my favorite songs.
It was great to see my friend Y, I didn't see her for more than a year, also my other two friends Z and M joined us with their family, it was a good occasion for my parents to meet their family, my mom had a lot in common with my friends' mom (she is a professor), and their brother was very funny guy, they are very nice family I hope they'll visit us often..
I wanted the celebration to last for ever; it is defiantly "the best 17th birthday ever" as everyone said..
**************************************************
Last week, I was preparing my homework, and I got a message from my friend saying "No one will go to school tomorrow, the headmistress's assistant got an alert from the terrorist through a phone call, that there'll be a battle near the school" . My friend said" worn everyone you know".
I kept calling my friends and everyone I know in school, I felt upset and old painful memories came back, and when we didn't go to school because of the dangerous situations..
So when the headmistress's assistant received the warning, she went immediately to the governorate asking to take serious actions to ensure the students' safety and the policemen's as well but you know what, they just said "ignore it, and the students must attend school".

They didn't do anything about that! it is crazy! My friends and I didn't go to school for couple of days, but then we had to attend school again, we can't stay home for ever, beside the whole country is dangerous, it won't make such a difference if we stay home.
The situation was very bad, everyday about two cars explode, one of them was near a high school in Mosul!!! I wonder if the schools became a target by the terrorists!
I may not write often, I am having a lot of pressure in these days; I'll have 9 lectures after school this week! It will be hard, but I'll give 100% of my energy. . I'll try to write whenever I find time .. .
Sunshine

17 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger tootie said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad to hear that you had a fun day.

I'll pray for you that you and your family stay safe!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger BAGHDADENTIST said...

dear sunny,i was so happy in mosul especially meeting my friends who i miss them alot.
i enjoyed my time with you and your family and ......oh my god "the nescafe" hahaha.
wish u every birthday be the best one :).
try to avoid thinking about the situation,i know its hard but dont let this affect studying,you are challenging terrorists by it and by achieving high scores.
good luck and take care.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Dancewater said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful birthday - your mom's friend did a great job with the food and the table!

Sorry to hear of the bombs and violence in your area.

I am working on putting the names of Iraqi professors and lecturers who were killed in the last six years (most of them in 2005 and 2006) on the back of what we call "Iraqi civilian peace flags". The front has a picture of a peace dove with the olive branch in his mouth, and the comment: "This is a remembrance of the Iraqi Civilian Casualties. May they rest in Peace. May their country find Peace."

We put them up at a local church every March to remember all the Iraqi civilians who were killed in this war and occupation.

We wish we could have a flag for each civilian, but it would take us weeks to set up the display. We put up about 1,600 flags.

I mentioned this because there are 403 names of Iraqi professors and lecturers killed, which would be equivalent to 4,800 killed in the USA, since we have 12 times the population of Iraq.

I think the Iraqi professors who have remained on the job are very brave and very loyal to Iraq. They are amazing, as are you when you go to school anyway, even when death is a real threat.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sweetheart!!!!!!!

And many happy returns!!! 17 is a great year.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Average American said...

Sunshine, I am SOOOOO hungry now because of all your pictures with such good looking desserts. I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at them. I see in your last post that some enterprising politicians found a good use for all the blast walls. They look better with posters than just plain gray. I hope that Mosul starts getting safer real soon. It amazes me how well you and all your friends endure what you have to go through. You certainly are some very brave people! May God keep watching out for and bless you and your family and friends.

Joe

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Looks Very Delicious...

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jhondie said...

write when you can, and good luck with all your school work.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger BirdMan said...

Happy Birthday, seventeen!

Congratulations for all.


AO

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Happy Birthday!

This song by, Frank Sinatra, came out when I was 17 going on 18:

When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen...

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger olivebranch said...

hello darling :)
i think you meant to say work colleague (its alright, i had to look it up to know how to spell it anyway hehe)

hopefully the new military operations in Mosul will make it safer for you and I'm glad you had a wonderful 17th birthday!

my how much youv grown up since i met you on here all those years ago.

keep smiling love

Luke(y)

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looked like you had a great party. Your food photo's always make me hungry. Maybe you could write another book on Iraqi recipe's. Sorry to hear about the situation in Mosul.

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that your birthday was nice; I wish you a thousand more birthdays more amazing than that one! And the best of luck for your studies. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon. Stay optimistic and work hard in your studies. The world is ready to be yours. =]

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger cat said...

Hey Sunshine!! It's been a looong time since I visited your blog. I'm SOO glad you're still writing! I'll try and keep up. I missed reading your entries! :) Happy Birthday, girl! That's so cool that you got to celebrate with family and friends. From the pictures, it looks like you had a GREAT time!
God Bless you, girly!
lotsa luv!

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sunshine
Happy Birthday and wish you and your fabilly the best.
do you remember me?
I am Ahmad from Esfahan-Iran
I read your Weblog regularly.
please leave me comment in
my blog.www.ashkavand.blogspot.com

Take Care

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger olivebranch said...

=-)
I love reading the comments on your blog! Good to see familiar names still always leaving their comments. We support you everyday even if we are absent at times.

Hope Mosul gets better soon, but anyway, when you graduate I am going to send you a gift :D

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger TuneQueen said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy life!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger سحاب Sahab said...

Happy Birthday to you ...
you must been very nice ..
Each year my family wait my birthday to do evreything
but my 21th birthday in 2005 i was in Jadriya bunker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home