Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

School is over ..

Hello friends ..
on Thursday (3/5)we had a small party in our school , it lasted for one hour and half , but we had a great time, a lot of food , music , and dancing! And what made me really glad is that "R" finally didn't wear black nor dark clothes ..
I was really busy with my monthly exams (as usual ) and I didn't get the results I was expecting , but my marks are still not bad.
I am really tired and can't wait till the summer holiday .
My final par is higher than 90% in 11 subjects which mean I won't have to attend the final exams, except for 2 subjects Arabic and chemistry ..
I felt upset because of the Arabic , because it isn't my fault , I have high marks in grammar and literature but the teacher gave me 14 out of 20 in the daily homework which made my mark lower , that was unfair, I always do my homework ,she also gave us low marks in the phrasing ,I took 20 out of 25 !!! , and when I told her , she said" shush , you are not the only one, sit down". 4 girls have 90% only ! , I have to study Arabic and chemistry hard and get high marks ,
Today ( Tuesday 15/5) I had my Arabic oral exam , the written exam will be on 24/5 , and the chemistry exam will be on 26 /5 , wish me luck.
*************
I have plans for my summer holiday, I want to improve my French , I bought two books and a CD. They are very useful, and I'll also teach my mom French , it was her dream to learn another language , I'll have interviews , and a friend of mine asked me to translate stories, I would love to do that , it will be FUN…
I want to make more handmade work , and of course write posts and answer my E-mails . there is a book in Arabic called " Al mustatraf fee kuli fanin mustathraf " it is a great book , I read it once in Baghdad , about 2 years a go ,grandma sent it to my mom , I'll read it again , it is the greatest book I've ever read .
I'll visit my friend "H" whenever I get the chance , I didn't see her since last summer holiday , I miss her a lot , we are not in the same school , she is one year older , she will be really busy preparing for the sixth class, and the home schooling , she is smart , she want to go to the pharmacy collage, there is various professions among her family members , 2 doctors , a dentist , a lawyer ,and two teachers .
Her brother Dr.M, was in Baghdad with his wife , she had a medical exam there, , she is taking the Diploma, her husband had to leave her alone , and come back to Mosul , because their little daughters (2 years old , and 6 months old) didn't stop crying and calling for their parents , anyway , when he reached Mosul ,terrorists start to shoot at his car, he was injured in his shoulder , he didn't tell his parents , , he told his parents that it was late and that he would go to the hospital because he had a shift in the next day.. he went directly to the hospital , his friends there took care of him and sucked the blood from his lungs……
Next morning , he called his parents and told them the truth , and asked them not to tell his wife Dr. B.
After she finished her exam , she came back to Mosul , and knew everything, Dr. M had a surgery , he is doing ok now.
Thank god for his safety, I am really happy for his two little daughters , wife , and family ..
*****
we celebrated my mom's birthday , and my brother's birthday , we had a nice time.. we also went to my relative' Nishan , I had fun.
*****
I get a lot of E-mails asking me about my life in Iraq , and telling me how the media doesn’t show our real lives, I had an interview with Melissa Walker (she is really nice) , in flip magazine , and I started to receive so many E-mails from teenagers specially from USA, who kept asking me questions about my life , friends , clothes !!! they had wrong ideas about the Iraqi teens and I am so happy they changed their opinions ..
One of my interviews was canceled , I had one with a radio , and I will have one with al- jazeear soon, I am really excited .. I love interviews..
Sunshine .
****************
Now , your questions time
I got this question from a reader (Mary) asking me about my faith .
How do you feel about the US presence ?
people ask me that question a lot ..
well , scared , worried, confused, I don’t trust them , because they killed our eldest uncle as I mentioned before , as well as many innocents. But there are absolutely good soldiers like those I met in the airport ,but in the first year of the invasion , I used to feel safe when they were around , but now , I try to be as far as possible . my feelings changed , because they are not the same soldiers who freed us .
I don't know what to say , once my father's cousin celebrated his birthday with them, the US soldiers spent few months in his dad's building (that was in the first few months of the invasion). My friend's brother made friendship with some soldiers, he used to bring them Iraqi dishes (they loved Dolma and Biryani ). We see each other in the markets , they used to salute us , but now , we drive as hurry as we can if we see them coming , we try to avoid them , because if a mine exploded they shoot randomly .. we don’t feel safe, neither them because of the terrorists who ruin our lives ..


I am curious to know more about your faith - the holidays you observe and what they mean. and the traditions you have around marriage. I don't know any Muslims and I feel it’s important to understand other religions in order to build respect for other people and to understand the differences and similarities of other faiths

My biggest question for you is about heaven. What is heaven to you? How does a person get there? Do you believe these good deeds earn your way into heaven? Is there a book that you would recommend to give us a true understanding of the basics of your faith?

Well , we celebrate 4 feasts , one last for 3 days it comes after the fasting month "Ramadan" , the other feast when people go to Mecca and it last for 4 days , our prophet's birthday ,as well as the Islamic new year (the memory when our prophet left Mecca to Al -madeena ).
About heaven, people go there if they do the right things , like if they don't lie , don't cheat , don't kill , don't humbug, love each other , etc .
And yes, I believe these good deeds earn the way into heaven, I would recommend the holy Quran , if you want to know more about Islam , it is like the bible , because they are from the same god.
About marriages I wrote a post about that .
Many people ask me if we have arranged marriages , NOOOOOOOOOO we don’t have arranged marriages ,it breaks my hear what people in the west think like that about us. I wrote a post about the weddings in Iraq few months ago.

For more questions E-mail me on livesstrong92@yahoo.com

23 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny, I am happy to hear that you had a fun party in school and that you did well in exams. Anyone who has read your blog would know that you would do well. I am sure that you will do good in Arabic & Chemistry. I bet you are really looking forward to your summer so you can relax and have some fun. Learning a new language can be hard work. I am trying to learn Spanish and doing pretty good at it but have lots of work to improve it. The book you like so much, what does it translate to in English. Tell your mom and brother Happy Birthday for me. Don't be too upset about people's view of Iraqi life. This is how people learn about each other. Many people probably think of America from what they see on TV or Movies and that is not alway true. I really enjoy reading your blog and have told many people about you. You are becomeing a celebrity yourself. Someday maybe you will be famous. Stay safe.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sunshine, I'm a collage student from Taiwan (It's a little island besides China if you don't know where it is.).I've been reading your blog for a while, it's so fun to learn your culture and your daily life. And it's nice of you to teach your mom French =) Oh, you better not push yourself too hard, you will definitely do well in all exams!
Best wishes.

Estella

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gives me a warm feeling to know that there is promise of good things to come in your life. Good luck in your studies and interviews.

As for avoiding US soldiers, that's a good idea. You will not be safe if the terrorists think you're friendly with American soldiers. That's the sad reality of the times in Iraq right now. Also, our soldiers are well-trained and usually cool under fire, but there are always accidents and mistakes made in combat situations.

Stay low and be very careful in the days to come. Have a feeling things will be getting worse in the near future before it gets better.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Jhondie said...

Congrats on not having to take the finals on most of your classes. As for those pricks geting trigger happy, I don't know their reasoning, but we do have rules of engagement. If they are violating them, something could be done. Thank you for sharing with us your daily life stories.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is really a nice blog,good luck in your exams,you are great dear.
your close friend,
silvermoon

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Ripama said...

Sunshine,

Your rays are spreading out. Your latest post is also on www.streamtime.org

I think you should always consider your safety first and avoid soldiers as much as possible.

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It made me very happy to read that you had a enjoyable party at schoo. You deserve it because of all your hard work.

I am also glad that "R" has finally stopped wearing dark clothing in memory of her father.

Your grades(Marks) are commendable. I'm not certain about your studying French. There are certain words that I can not get my tongue to make the right sound. French people understand me but it is kind of funny to watch their concentration to some of my words. I have not used it in many years so I have probably forgotten it by now.

I was sorry th hear that Dr. "M" got shot but happy that he is recovering well.

Those American soldiers can not tell if an Iraqi is a suicide bomber or not, if someone shoots at them or explodes a roadside bomb. It is safer to stay clear of them. Not because they are mean but they are trying to protect their fellow soldiers and innocent Iraqi people.

Please stay safe and enjoy a pleasant summer vacation.

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure did misspell some words in my previous post. Sorry about that. I believe you'll understand them alright.

I sure wish that "For what it's worth" would write a post for you again. She can do so much better than most of us. I love the way she commends you. I worry about her because she was sick before. I hope that she is not ill.

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny thisDictionary may help you with your French. On the right side of the page you will see "Translate text instantly". Click on it and select the language you want to translate to and from. Then write a pargraph or more and click on translate. I hope this is of some help to you.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why it didn't work out right. Let me try again.
Dictionary

If it doesn't work this time I'll send it to you by E-Mail.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny! Glad to see your new post! Wish I had more time to reply, but I've got to run off to work. Very happy to hear things are going fairly well with you. Keep your Sun Shining! :)

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

geat to hear from you. good luck with the rest of the exams.
have you looked at the website Hometown Baghdad? try it.
stay safe.
starliz

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour le cher, Je suis si fier que vous vouliez apprendre le français. J'espère que vous voyagerez quelque part que vous pouvez l'employer un jour.
Mes enfants ont étudié le français à l'école depuis qu'ils avaient 9 ans. Ils sont très bons à elle. Mais, tristement je ne suis pas presque aussi bon qu'ils sont!

Dear One, your marks are commendable. I can not imagine the everyday stress you have and yet, you study and work as diligently as any student should. You are a shining example for students everywhere. I am sure you will do wonderfully on your Chemistry and Arabic exams.

I am pleased that 'R' has chosen to remove her veil of grief. Losing a loved one is hard, especially a parent losing a child, or a child losing a parent. But, with friends like you who support and nurture her heart, she will continue on as a legacy to her father. In my faith, we believe that life continues beyond the grave into the Eternities. I am sure her father loves her from beyond and is pleased with the respect and dignity she showed during her grief. Now, it is time for 'R' and for so many others to live again.

I am saddened to hear that the American soldiers cause you to fear. But know that just as you and I are individuals, so is each soldier. They can be strong, valiant, caring men and women or they can be rude, unkind and malicious. I will pray for all the soldiers that their hearts may be softened to understand the lives of all citizens whom they seek to protect. I think sometimes they forget the people and live only by their orders.

Dear One, you are doing so much to dispel the mysteries of Iraq. When people read your blog (last comment aside) they are allowed a glimpse of what life truly is like for you and the other citizens in Iraq. They see that you are similar in so many ways to friends and neigbours they may have. But, what only you can show them is the grace and dignity with which you live your life. I don't know of anyone who has more of either than you do. Where you have every right to be angry and hurt, you seek goodness and light in each circumstance. I can not begin to tell you how proud that makes me, and how very much I admire you.
The world has much to learn from you, Dear One. Look at how many countries are represented by your readers. People all over this world are learning so very much from you. Keep sharing your life. You have so very much to give.

Keep safe Dear One. Enjoy the break away from school. Take some time to enjoy who you are and how very special you are to so very many people. You deserve nothing but the best. Be well.

4

 
At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sunny,

Now I am more happy. "For what it's worth" has written what so many of us feel about you. I just do not have the ability to write it so clearly. I love the way she comments.

My Prayers are with you every day.

Thank you For What It's Worth.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Wayne...I think your comments are full of support, kindness and moreover speak right from the heart.
I love to read your comments as well.

See, Dear One...not only do you amke friendships with the people who read your blog, but the readers make friendships as well.....you do inspire the best in people.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Jules said...

I´m reading this all the way from Colombia in Latin America, and I believe it´s great for you to be writing about the daily stuff, the things that help us see faces instead of a little label on a map.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you Sunshine! Please be careful and take care of yourself! I pray a lot for you to be kept safe. Good luck on your exams

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you did well on your exams. It's refreshing to see a young girl take her studies so seriously. You are sure to be successful in your profession as an adult. If you need financial help to get through college, I'm sure many of your readers would love to send money to a fund to help support you.

I, too, will pray for the American soldiers and the Iraqis - that the two may be able to trust each other again and work together for a better Iraq. There is a greater purpose in all of this and I pray that we will all live to see the Iraqis living in peace.

God Bless you, Sunshine!

Mary

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dear Sunny,

I hope you are well.

How did you do on your final exams. You did finish your chemistry test yesterday didn't you?

Stay safe and enjoy your summer school vacation.

My Prayers are with you and all innocent Iraqi people.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the turmoil your people are living through right now. I'm a twenty-something year old American girl who grew up reading the diaries of Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic. I was thrilled to find your blog, and wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences with the world. Every day is a new journey of discovery, and we all have something to learn from each other.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's great to learn other languages! the language i know other than english is spanish. i know some japanese, but writing the characters is really hard. will practice more. good luck with french!

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also i think the reason that people think there are arranged marriages is in some movies it's portrayed like that which is unfortunate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home